Seek...

Monday, October 29, 2007

The Current Setting (2007)

Originally published on Oct. 29, 2007 at 4:32 AM in Midweek Sessions

I'd like to start off by saying that there are so many great individual talents and good bands out there.  Some of the bands that I want to note here are The Line Divides, Missing Filemon, Aggressive Audio to name a few.  But I know there are still some that are just lurking beneath the surface.  There's no doubt about that.  To discover them is another story.
For example, one of our systems administrator in the office plays really good guitar.  The only sad note is that he refuses to play on stage.  I tried encouraging him but in the end, I get the same response.  He defends by saying that it's for his own consumption - whatever that means.

I respect his preference but I really think talent should be exposed.  At least, that's what I hope to believe.  I mean, why would you bother yourself with baffling tablatures if you don’t want to bring yourself to the open?  But then one can only flaunt it if the talented allows himself to.

In another occasion, a friend approached me and asked what I’ve been busy about lately.  I knew he was referring to my current musical pursuits.  There’s nothing to tell except for my corporate deliverables and I wasn’t sure if he’d be interested in that.

The conversation has lead to his ranting of what he observed about the music scene today.  He said that he can’t find bands that really stand out nowadays.  “Ambot.  Ambot lang.  Murag wala gyuy banda nga makaingon ka nga kuyaw gyud,” he said.  To some, extent maybe he is telling the truth.

My observation is that not many bands, especially in our local community have that level of confidence that could bring them up to a certain degree of challenge.  Many bands see things the way media presented it to them.  And media made it look so easy.

In as much as I want to help in any way I can, I can only do so much.  There will always be pros and cons.  There will always be hitches.  But the goal should stay the same.  What we should look more are the benefits of every good music we write.

I love bands and I love music very much.  Now I see that there is a need and chance to act as one of the vehicles to get some musical engines running (again).  I hope to get my music engine running as well.  I hope to inspire bands again.  But I cannot do this alone.  So please help me discover them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...